Welcome to the Audition Information for the Rutgers Summer Dance Conservatory! Please note that the ALL prospective students must audition.
LIVE AUDITION INFORMATION
- Thursday, November 30, 2018: Pre-College Dance Day at the Mason Gross School of the Arts, Rutgers University – Closed Audition
- National High School Dance Festival, Pittsburgh, PA, February 28 – March 4, 2018.
- Saturday, February 10, 2018, Check in at 6:45 PM, Auditions 7-9 PM, Mason Gross School of the Arts, Rutgers University
- Saturday, March 31, 2018, Check in at 6:45 PM, Auditions 7-9 PM, Mason Gross School of the Arts, Rutgers University
- Saturday, March 10, 2018: New Jersey High School Dance Festival
REGISTER FOR A LIVE AUDITION
Click Here to Register for the Live Audition on SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 10, 2018
Nicholas Building Lobby & Dance Studios
85 George Street
New Brunswick, NJ 08816
Auditioning participants may park in Lots 74a. This parking lot is located in front of the New Gibbons dormitories, across George Street from the Nicholas Music Center, where the dance studios are located.
Click here for a map of the layout of the parking areas.
EARLY BIRD PRICING AND AUDITIONS
Students submitting video auditions must complete the Participant Questionnaire form and Audition Registration form, AND must submit their video for consideration by March 1, 2018.
The audition will consist of a 45-minute ballet class (no pointe required) and 45-minute modern class.
– No pre-prepared solos or videos are required.
– Please bring a headshot or school photo (any size) with your name clearly printed on the reverse. Headshots will not be returned.
Attire for Females:
– Nude or pink footless or convertible tights and a black leotard.
– Hair pulled up, no jewelry, please.
– Ballet slippers for ballet portion (bare feet for modern)
– There will not be time to change tights. Please wear footless or convertible tights.
Attire for Males:
– White or black tank, bike shorts or sweat pants or footless/convertible tights, dance belt.
– Long hair pulled up, no jewelry, please.
– Ballet slippers for ballet portion of audition (bare feet for modern).
IMPORTANT! Enrollment in the audition is limited. Registration is on a first-come-first-serve basis. Your registration will be confirmed via email 2 weeks prior to the audition date.
– Walk-ins are not accepted. Pre-registration required.
– During the audition, you will be evaluated within your age cohort for program placement.
Video auditions for the 2018 Summer Dance Conservatory may be submitted here. Guidelines and video requirements can be found below.All students who live within 2 hours driving time of the audition location MUST attend a live audition.
The dancer must be in tights and tight fitting top or leotard that clearly enables the viewer to observe the dancer’s technique. No skirts, no loose fitting tee-shirts, no leg warmers, and no costumes.
Your video must be less than 10 minutes in length. You only need to perform one side of each exercise. The entire dancer should be visible throughout the video (no close-ups) and must include the components listed below:
- Begin your video by stating your name, age, and date of birth.
- Perform one side of each of the following exercises to musical accompaniment:
- Grand Battement
- Petit Allegro
- Grand Allegro
- For Men
- Two turning combinations
- Tours en l’air
- Petit Allegro with beats
- A Prepared Solo: The solo may be original choreography or from standard repertory. It should demonstrate the dancer’s artistic qualities and flow of movement. The solo may be ballet or modern. Dancers who have both a ballet and modern solo prepared may include both on their recording.
- Please note: pointe work is not required as part of the video audition.